Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Polling Places


This morning as I drove John to an eye appointment in North Kingstown, I noticed a "Vote Here" sign on a three story brick building across the street. It was the North Kingstown Town Hall, built in 1888 and still in use. Very picturesque except for ugly power lines that ruined my view. I forgot my camera but the image of that grand town hall was the first polling place I noticed today. On our way home we stopped at our own polling place, a one story flat roofed brick elementary school built in the 50's. Not much to look at on the outside, but filled with charm on the inside. We voted in the cafeteria, which was built for about 150 kids, very small. Lucky for us, our named began with a B. There were two lines. The first half of the alphabet, A thru K, had no one in line. The second half, L thru Z, had 25 people, waiting. After seeing the national news tonight, I guess we were fortunate not to have to stand in line for hours. We were in and out in 5 minutes. One block from our polling place I passed another "polling place" sign at the venerable stone walled town hall in South Kingstown. My friend, Sarah, who used to work in the clerk's office, explained that anyone who was not registered could go to the Town Hall and vote ONLY in the presidential race. The parking lot was full and cars were waiting to turn in. The last polling place I saw was my favorite. The Canochet Club, a building that sits right on Narragansett Town Beach, had a red and white "Vote Here" sign next to the door. Can you imagine going to the beach to cast your ballot???

No comments: