Sunday, March 23, 2008

Sports Festival

The three day Sports Festival is over. It was very hectic at times, but the kids were enthusiastic, polite, and appreciative of everything. I had the opportunity to speak to the woman's athletic director from the American University of Sharjah in Dubai on two occassions. It was great to hear so many languages being spoken, and everyone getting along so well. After the awards ceremony everyone went to another gym where they were fed and watched the girls from the ACG near eastern dance class perform. They had chains of shimmering coins hung on their hips and when they shook they coins danced. Their dances included a lot of hip movements, scarf waving and smiles. The crowd of athletes loved it. Then the teacher of the class performed. She obviously enjoyed being in the limelight. At the end, some boys from Cairo got up and danced one on one with the performers, to the delight of everyone else. It was a great way to end three days of competitions. When the crowd had dispersed, I found myself sitting at a table with all the people Ted works with. They are a great group of hard working professionals. Ted and I walked home at 9:15, exhausted. Tomorrow is Street Market Day, Yeah.
Saturday morning I went to Athens by myself to meet a friend who I have know for 13 years from school. It was great to see her and she helped me out by loaning me a black vest. Now I look a bit more Greek, dressed in darker colors. My hair is a dead giveaway that I am not a native. Very few Greek women are blond. Thanks, Jeanne for the cheese pie and for loaning me the vest. I wore it to the awards ceremony and to church the next day.

1 comment:

Josh & Teddie said...

Soundsl like fun, I do feel bad about the lack of helpers Dad told me about for the swim meet.....