Saturday, March 8, 2008

Saturday, March 8, 2008

Happy Birthday to Evelyn, my three year old granddaughter. Hope you put some dark chocolate sauce on a bowl of ice cream for me.
After sleeping TWELVE hours, I woke up at 10:00 am, feeling rested. Ted and I took the bus and metro to downtown Athens where we climbed and took a cog train to the top of Lycabettus Hill, a well known landmark. I felt my heart pounding as I climbed seven blocks of stairs just to get to the train. Once on the top we could see all of Athens, lots of concrete apartments and buildings, some with sparkling blue pools on the top. The Acropolis was almost lost in the mass of buildings. Far off was the Aegean. It was a spectacular view. We took a few photos which we will post on next post.
From there we climbed down the seven blocks of stairs and went to downtown Athens. We had a delicious lunch of fried zuccini balls, salad with soft cheese and 10 vegetables, and squid. It came with the best bread ever. I stuffed the two leftover pieces in my purse. The bathroom was in the basement and tiled in lime green. The two sinks in the ladies room looked like 4 foot high red beer cans with sinks embedded in them. Too bad I didn't have the camera with me then!
It was nice to sit down and relax. The restaurant happened to be across the street from the Pan Hotel, the one Jean Tsakares and her husband, Al, will be staying in.
It was 3:00 pm when we left the restaurant. Next we strolled through the Botanical Gardens.
Nice to get away from the constant din of motorcycles, taxis, and buses. We walked at least another mile (by now I was really tired) to get to the metro Station, Megaro Moussiki and headed home.
It is now 5:00 pm. I am sitting at the computer at the ACG pool. When I first turned it on everything was in Greek. I realized then that people all over the world have blogs. We're supposed to go out to dinner with Ted's boss tonight, but we might postpone it till Sunday. Thanks for your comments. I enjoy reading them.

2 comments:

Josh & Teddie said...

Sounds like your having fun. Dont have too much though Frankie and Theo both miss their grandma! Theos tongue is healing nicely! He got two more shots yesterday tho, not a happy boy about that.

Anonymous said...

sent you an e-mail already. now i'm at gg & jp's and so is marianne! love jody