Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Comment by Taverna Owner in Nafplio

After initial greetings by the taverna owner in Nafplio, where we ate, he initiated an interesting conversation:
"So," he began, "Who will you vote for, Clinton or Obama?"
"Obama," I said. Ted just smiled. (You have to pry who he votes for out of him.)
"Why you vote for him?" he asked.
"He gives me hope," I said. "He represents change."
"Yes," he said. "Good change. Perhaps he helps the whole world."
People all over the world are interested and watching the race. Sitting in that simple taverna, hundreds of years old, so far from the US, I was a bit surprised that this mustachioed man hoped for change, too.

4 comments:

Josh & Teddie said...

I dont know that I have ever gotten Dad to actually confirm or tell me who he voted or will vote for. I think its kinda funny

Eva's Mom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I'd like to know how you can possibly know who you would vote for at this stage of the primaries when positions of the candidates on important issues have not yet been articulated. Just saying " I'm for change " isn't enough for me - everybody's for that!
Dad

Eva's Mom said...

I think its interesting that the taverna owner narrowed the election field down to two Democrats. I guess McCain doesn't get much play in Greece.