Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Unbelievable

That old shark bite, almost 10 years old now, just keeps opening doors. Who would ever imagine that I would be going to speak as part of a contingent of shark attack survivors before the U.S. Congress on behalf of sharks!!!. A man who is also a shark attack survivor called on the phone last night and after a little small talk about missing body parts and Shark Week he asked me how I felt about sharks.
"Honestly," I said, " they're amazing creatures (mean, but amazing). I entered their world at dinner time. I hold no gradges against them."
He was thrilled and then invited me to go with 10 other victims on July 15th to Washington D.C and speak on behalf of a bill that is before Congress and has to do with finning of sharks. I don't know all the details, but I do know that the PEW Charitalble Trust will pay for my ticket there, and my food and lodging. I will arrive on the 14th and maybe leave on the 15th. I say maybe because I may stay a bit longer once I'm there. I thought I would be in RI for the remainder of the summer, but this opportunity just sounds like way too much fun!!

4 comments:

Josh & Teddie said...

How awesome is that?!?!?!

Deb Kaz said...

That is fantastic! I'm sure you'll acquit yourself admirably. Be sure to wear your tightest pants so they can see the evidence! LOL - only kidding of course!

Josh & Teddie said...

haha my mom is going to wear her tightest pants, I may give her an old skating spandex uniform to really show it off!

Waterspout said...

The cause is good, but the memories are not.

The Old Man