Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Subbing

Yesterday I finally subbed in the system I grew up in. In fact I was at my old high school. I was actually excited to enter the buildfing once again, after 45 years. Big disappointment!! Only a very small part of the old building was even still standing... and the furnace was broken in there... so it was 47 degrees inside. The rest of the campus had been completely redone and looked totally unfamiliar. I went in various classrooms assisting a student. For the most part the students were rude and disrespectful. They all seemed to have cords trailing from their ears or they were texting behind open books. Students were talking while the teacher talked and in one room the "f" word was used repeatedly. Some of the classes had subs... so maybe that is the excuse. By 3:25 I was totally disgusted!! Hopefully I'll get the chance to go to an elementary school this week. It should be much better.

1 comment:

Deb Kaz said...

Welcome to the world of the adolescent in 2011 - makes me really thankful for our kids in Central Falls. BTW - Phil is back in the U.S. Landed in Denver yesterday - visiting friends for a couple of weeks and meeting us in FL on 3/20. Heard you're coming back on 3/16 - hooray! Better start reading our next book - almost 1000 pages - blame Kelly!